WATER & LEMON WATER
If you’re like most people you will reach for a tea or coffee or an aerated drink before you reach for a glass of filtered water. If you don’t have time to make a fresh vegetable juice or your wheat grass shot the next best thing is a glass of water and adding some fresh lemon juice to it enhances its effects.
It is a simple, inexpensive and fantastic morning routine to develop which may have many long-term health benefits.
BENEFITS OF DRINKING WATER & LEMON WATER
- Helps flush out toxins
- Partaking in sugary food and drinks can lead to a build-up of accumulated metabolic waste in the body. There is also the possibility to cause kidney damage which slows down the removal of waste. Drinking water is essential to healthy kidney function, helping them to filter blood and extract waste to be excreted in urine. Kidneys also help control blood pressure and balance fluids, therefore keeping our systems running smoothly. So drink up and keep those 2 kidneys in great shape.
- Overnight your liver goes to work while you are sleeping to help restore and regenerate your body. Lemon water helps to support liver function and prevent oxidative damage, helping to support your liver’s role in detoxification.
- Promotes glowing skin, hair and anti-ageing
- Water helps skin look plump and hydrated, increasing cell production and helps to flush toxins from the skin. Drinking water hydrates the scalp, helps with the absorption of nutrients and can reduce dandruff.
- Lemon water contains Vitamin C. This can help to fight radical damage keeping your skin looking fresh and helping slow down the ageing process. Vitamin C also helps the body to produce collagen, which is essential to smoothing out fine lines on the face. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggests that regularly consuming Vitamin C leads to younger looking skin with fewer wrinkles.
- Helps to boost your energy levels and mood
- The consumption of caffeinated or sugary drinks can cause lethargy or fatigue. A sudden spike and drop in blood sugar levels can cause mood swings, irritability, hormonal imbalances and sugar cravings. Replacing these drinks with water can help you to feel more energetic and can help to boost your mood. Even mild dehydration has been shown to negatively impact moods. Drinking water helps improve your state of mind.
- Helps support weight loss
- Researchers in Germany have found that drinking sufficient water can help boost metabolism and increases the rate at which you burn calories.
- Helps stimulate a sluggish fatty liver
- A sluggish fatty liver can lead to more serious liver disease and is linked to Type 2 diabetes, which affects about 25% of people globally. Symptoms can include – fatigue and weakness, abdominal pain, elevated insulin levels and triglyceride levels.
- Drinking lemon water helps to loosen and disperse the fat cells within the liver because of the special combination of vitamin C and the calcium present in lemons and limes, which bind together and enter into the liver.
- Helps hydrate your body
- Water helps to regulate and improve bowel movements, improve pH balance in your body and can help to prevent stomach disorders.
- Eating water-rich fruits and vegetables like cucumber, watermelon and strawberries containing minerals, salts and natural sugars which the body needs for optimum hydration levels, can rehydrate the body together with drinking water.
- Helps to alkalise your cells and balance your pH
- There is an acid/alkaline theory of health stating that our modern diet contains too many acid-forming foods (sugar, dairy, meat, refined carbohydrates, chemical additives, etc.) and not enough alkaline forming foods (greens, vegetables, low sugar fruits, etc.) which can result in a net “acid” environment in the blood. In this environment the cells don’t carry oxygen as well, they lose some of their electric charge and appear to become less efficient in eliminating waste and taking on nutrients. This may lead to depleted immunity and increased illness or disease.
- Research is showing that an alkaline diet may be beneficial for relieving chronic pain, boosting bone health and protecting against disease and could enhance cancer treatment effectiveness.
- Contradictory to common perception lemon water has an alkalising effect on the body, helping to balance the body’s pH and optimise overall health.
Lemon water can break down the enamel on your teeth. Rinse your mouth with fresh water after your lemon water or use a glass or stainless steel straw.
Lemon essential oil is a great substitute as the rind of the lemon is also used. Only use therapeutic grade oils.
You can add to your water – a pinch of sea salt, chopped fresh ginger, chopped fresh turmeric or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
Water comes in different forms, including tap, bottled, filtered, distilled and alkaline ionized water. Consumption usually depends on cost and availability.
In many places it is a privilege to have clean drinking water. Tap water can be toxic with chemicals used to purify the water. Bottled water is often used for convenience and where the tap water is undrinkable. There are concerns about chemicals from the plastic seeping into the water and environmental factors with the increase of plastic waste.
ADDITIONS TO YOUR WATER
The simplest, cheapest and fastest way for you to enhance your glass of water in the morning is to add lemon water. This will have long term health benefits and effects on the waistline. You can use limes also.
MORE GREAT READING ABOUT THE SCIENCE BEHIND LEMON WATER
fatty liver https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26707365/