Vegetable Broth can be hearty, rich, flavourful, versatile, easy to make, healthy and super delicious. The broth can be used immediately or frozen for later use. All the vegetables which are no longer necessary after completing your broth are delicious to eat hot or cold, don’t waste them!
- 500g celery
- 750g brown onions
- 500g carrots, cut into 2.5 cm pieces
- 500g tomatoes, cored
- 500g green capsicum (bell peppers), cut into 2.5 cm pieces
- 250g turnips, cubed
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 3.5 liters water
- Preheat over to 230 degrees C (450 degrees F)
- Remove leaves and tender inner parts of celery and set aside.
- Place onions, carrots, tomatoes, capsicum (bell peppers) and turnips in a bowl and toss with olive oil. Line a baking tray with baking paper and place vegetables on top – put in oven. Stir veggies every 15 minutes. Cook until veggies have browned and onions start to caramelise, this will take over one hour.
- Put browned vegetables, celery, garlic, cloves, bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley and water into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered until liquid is reduced by half.
- Strain the broth through a colander, catching the broth in a large bowl. The liquid caught in the bowl is your vegetable broth – it can be used immediately or stored for later use. Don’t waste the vegetables. Eat them hot or cold as preparation for you 3 Day Detox or as your post program protocol.